Translate

Friday, November 14, 2014

Down the rabbit hole!

31 weeks preggers today!!
I always thought I'd be one of those women who would have extremely weird cravings in pregnancy but as always, it's always what you don't expect as I havent been craving much this pregnancy (lucky for hubby)
One thing that I have been craving for the past few days has been rabbit, believe it or not so that's what I made for dinner last night. Picked up a whole frozen rabbit from the butcher yesterday for $22 (and it was a tad skinnier than what I expected :p ).


Ingredients
- 1 rabbit (cut into 6 - 8 pieces)
- plain flour
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 onion (diced)
- 4 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 3 stalks of celery (sliced)
- large handful of cauliflower
- small handful of sprouted chickpeas
- 250ml of white wine
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 800g canned tomatoes
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- bunch of parsley
- olive oil
- salt and pepper

Method
- Heat pan on medium high and add olive oil. Dust rabbit in plain flour. Fry rabbit on both sides till brown and remove from pan.

- Add another tablespoon of oil to hot pan and cook the fennel seeds, onion and garlic till softened. Then add the carrots, celery and cauliflower and cook for 2-3 minutes.

- Pour in the white wine and vinegar and simmer till it begins to reduce. Add in the rosemary leaves and the tinned tomatoes and stir.

- Add the pieces of rabbit back to the pan and cover and leave to simmer for at least 1 1/2 - 2 hours till the rabbit is tender.

I served this with bread or you can also serve it with some fresh pasta or polenta. As with most recipes, feel free to use up some extra vegies you have lying around in the fridge such as an extra onion, carrot etc. I added a handful of cauliflower I had leftover in the fridge as well as a small handful of sprouted chickpeas which I've been making weekly.




Happy cooking!
xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment